Colour Scheme Studies - Part 1

I want to take a closer look at colour harmonies, so I decided to look online for images that fall use colours falling under particular harmonies or that are similar to them. Then I created quick painting studies of each of these.

Below are screenshots showing the source images, paintings and hues used within each piece.

This study I looked at using a complementary colour harmony, the blue and red hues shown. I think this was really interesting to use and my eyes definitely feel drawn to the lanterns, being the warmer hue.

This piece I used split complementary, it definitely allows for a lot of contrast as with complementary, but the third hue definitely gave me more options.

For this piece I remained within one hue, making this piece monochromatic. It is very intense, I think partly because of the red but also being that it is the only colour in the piece.

For this piece I tried out an analogous colour scheme, it definitely makes the piece feel quite calming and cohesive. It is easy to look at (if that makes any sense), though I think part of the calming effect is definitely due to the subject being flowers.

Next I tried a triadic colour scheme, this was definitely a bit of a challenge as the source image definitely also appears to use some blue, but I think the result worked out well. It seems like a useful scheme for painting multiple elements and still making the piece feel cohesive.

I will continue these experiments with further colour schemes to see what results I can achieve with them. I have included below a screenshot of all the experiments I have done so far.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Back Into Painting - Part 2

Digital Sketchbook Update - Part 1

Choosing a Theme for My Concepts