Initial Concept Exploration

I started to explore some initial concepts, trying to blend both a futuristic and 50's feel. I imagined humanity living in space on another planet, each city contained in oxygenated domes that also are able to alter the gravity within the space. I started with a sofa with restraints, this would allow people to relax outside the domes. I thought about how it would be promoted to people, and how product focused the 50's was.

I then made a drinks dispenser, the selling point of the drinks is that they provide all the nutritional needs of customers (though would probably also have some not nice ingredients that are in the fine print). Next I created a light which is similar to an LED light bar, surrounded by a decorative element similar to lampshade shapes in the 50's.

Finishing up this page I made a radio, this radio also has the functionality to show a screen if the station features video, it also is able to display subtitles live as the speakers or music plays. While it has very futuristic elements, I wanted it to look like a radio you would see from the 50's. 

Below is a picture of this sheet of concepts, as well as a time-lapse of the process. I intentionally tried really hard here to remain loose and sketchy, this way I could explore ideas and shapes more freely.


After these concepts I carried on with sketching some more, I did a coffee table merged with the glass exterior in a lot of futuristic designs, within would be a number of plants. The decal on the top as well as the colour that would be used on the table would give a 50's feel. I also created a lounge chare, attempted to shape it in a way that combines a lot of 50's and futuristic designs I saw, I also added a side table which can come out of the chair at the push of a button.

I made a concept of a bin styled like a lot of 50's bins, but the bin contains a scanner within which will check if what is placed inside is in fact rubbish. I then will incinerate the rubbish, releasing to a compartment at the bottom which collects ashes of rubbish. 

The clock I kept the shape and main clock in the 50's style, however, LED screen sections alongside the main clock will offer additional information such as the date, temperature and weather within the area. The phone I created has a lot of design similarities as 50's wall phones, but to modernise it I also added a handsfree mode (a built in mic and speaker) and a camera with a screen to see the other person.



Next I did a sketch of a bed and a toaster, again continuing to try to merge a futuristic design with the 50's aesthetic. I will continue to update this sheet but thought I would provide an update of how it looks as is for now.


I will continue to brainstorm ideas before moving on to choose the final concepts to take into further development. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Back Into Painting - Part 2

Digital Sketchbook Update - Part 1

Choosing a Theme for My Concepts