Creating the Illustration

In this post I will go through my process of how I created my illustration, with multiple screenshots showing each stage. 

I wanted to show a whale oil extraction taking place in an unhygienic room, my thought process was that although whale oil is distributed on mass, I thought there must be some unofficial suppliers who try to profit from it. I thought of a room with blood and whale oil on the floor, suppliers that do not follow any sort of regulations.

Initial sketching and line-work


I started with some general boxes in perspective to understand what the room would look like and what I would include.

I then started to sketch out the contents of the room, the whale being hoisted onto the ceiling and various furnishings in the room. Blood covering the floor.








Next I created cleaner line-work for the core elements of the illustration. I wanted the viewer to understand something is being harvested from the whale, even if they are unfamiliar with the Dishonored franchise.








Shading and colouring


I wanted to try Marc Brunet’s technique of creating a detail/shading layer, then applying multiply onto the colour layer. So I detailed the whale first to try out this technique, this was my first time painting with this workflow.

I then did the same for the hoists, spear and whale oil container.








I then added a layer of colour to the whale, I wanted to try to stick largely to a monochromatic colour scheme, remaining in a blue hue and working within it, but to grab the viewers attention I added a hint of red along the gums.

I then coloured the other elements of the room mentioned earlier.








For the background I tried to make sure the ceiling, wall and floor each had different textures to differentiate them.

Next I added the colour layer to finalise the background, again remaining within that blue hue.

To finalise the colouring stage, I added blood dripping down the whale from the spear, along with a pool of blood on the floor. I also added some of the whale oil onto the floor.









The finished piece

Finishing up, I created a copy of the original file (in case I ever need to go back and change anything) and began to work on general clean-up and merging the layers. The below image is the finished piece:


Conclusion

Creating this piece was a really interesting process for me. It was my first time using an iPad and Procreate to create digital art which was a challenge, it was also a new workflow for me following Marc Brunet’s way of working. While it was a challenge, I feel like the workflow was really effective, though I definitely could do a better job at perfecting the process as I still did a lot of things that added time unnecessarily. 

I tried to show the viewer of the piece enough to give them a glimpse into the world, showing that within this world whales are used for some purpose, but not telling the viewer what they are used for. I wanted to create some initial intrigue and build part of the world in the mind of the viewer without them having an understanding of Dishonored.

I definitely want to explore more on colour theory and how colour can be used to help guide the viewer and immerse them in a piece. I definitely would like to practice with different colour schemes as well.

While this was primarily an experimental piece, I wish I spent more time filling out the room to make it more interesting. I think it would have made the painting feel more complete.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finalising Notes on Framed Ink

Researching How to Create Prop Concepts

Research into Concept Art - Part 3