Further Concept Exploration

Continuing on from my previous update, I finished off my concept sheet I was working on. I added in a coffee machine and a sofa, to give the sofa a futuristic feel I gave it a lot of curved edges, but used a fabric trim to give a 50’s feel. For the coffee machine, I tried to keep the shape reminiscent of 50’s coffee machines but with a screen to select coffee type, and an automatic glass door that slides down when a selection is chosen. Below is the sketches and a time-lapse.

 

Following on from these initial sketches, I worked on some thumbnail sketches, allowing me to explore multiple options by first laying out some shapes and working within them. A lot of artists use this process to generate ideas they might not have done if they weren't working within the constraints of the shape drawn. Below is a picture of two sheets of concepts I worked through, along with time-lapses of each.





I tried to continue with designs even if I didn't like them as they may have elements that I use down the line. 

Next I wanted to set a rough colour scheme to follow for my designs, this way they would fit into a visual family so if used in a game they would make sense with each other.


I settled with three types of colour harmonies to chose between as a starting point, I brought in some of my concepts to use as examples. A lot of my design ideas have shapes and elements which give a futuristic feel, so I think leaning into a 50's inspired colour scheme would be a good idea to pull the two themes into one. I knew I wanted teal to be a colour within my scheme so I built around that, as it seems to be a popular colour trend in the 50's.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Back Into Painting - Part 2

Digital Sketchbook Update - Part 1

Choosing a Theme for My Concepts