I have included my new learning agreement below, essentially I will be creating a character concept to fit into the same theme as the props I have designed.
I have included below a screenshot of my new learning agreement. I will be looking into how to make character concept art, and the process of starting a new specialism.
As I want to look into moving specialism, I thought it would be best to get a better grasp of what I am aiming for, what makes great concept art. So I began to watch some YouTube videos by concept artists giving advice, and I made notes on what I learnt throughout. I have included the notes I have taken on this blog post, I will be watching further videos and looking through portfolios on future blog posts, but these are the notes I have made on what I have learnt so far. Video 1 Title: Become a CONCEPT ARTIST for video games - What to practice? Creator: Trent Kaniuga Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVPwtsQ-RzI&t=2s Accessed on: 23/01/24 The beginning of the video Kaniuga describes the importance of understanding the fundamentals of drawing, this is something I definitely want to practice more, he states that the better the understanding of fundamentals the better I will be able to communicate my ideas. He explains that looking through art books is a great place to see ...
I worked on some sketches following on from the thumbnails I did previously, I am happy with how these sketches turned out and I think I got to explore lots of ideas. It helped me establish things I didn’t like and design elements I would want to potentially take into the final concept for this character. To speed up my process, I sketched over a reference image of a person standing posed and designed the character on top of this outline. Below is a picture of the concepts, and a timelapse of the process. Next, I went through each design to see elements I liked and things I thought didn’t really work. Effectively asking “Does it look good?” and “Does it serve a function?”, generally if the answer to either of these is yes, then I find the design element has potential and might do well in a final concept. If it doesn’t make a design look good or if it doesn’t make sense, then there’s no point in taking it further. Elements I like I circled green, elements I didn’t like I circled re...
Comments
Post a Comment